Friday, January 9, 2009

Tom's Movie Quote Quiz

Here's a game I heard of. Think of 20 movies you like, find quotes from them, and see if people can guess the movies. Here are mine:
  1. Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.
  2. San Dimas High School football rules!
  3. A man cannot call himself well-contented until he has done all he can to be of service to his employer.
  4. "Do you want consummate musicianship or fame and fortune?" "Fame and fortune."
  5. "You can't smell wine, can't taste it!" "But I remember."
  6. You've got serious thrill issues, dude.
  7. In a past life, this worm could have been your mother.
  8. I am not a gun.
  9. It's 6:03, and the heirs to my dominion are scrubbed and tubbed, and adequately fed.
  10. More's the pity. Then your tailors will rule the land, and no one will make the clothes. So much for French fashion, and French politics.
  11. Anybody want a peanut?
  12. Well, I want to go to Bombay, India and become a movie star.
  13. I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
  14. Yeah, I kissed a girl, and this other fella didn't like it, so we had some words, and so I decided to get out of there. So I did, I got out of there. You know me, Emmett, I don't want no trouble.
  15. Kirby? That's not even a name!
  16. Me, die? And miss all the excitement? Ha-ha, no. I was merely dormant while my body repaired itself. Ah well, enough with the details. Suffice it to say, you're on Rylos, my boy.
  17. To die is nothing. To jump the great boa is everything.
  18. Well, I'm not used to supposin'. I'm just a workin' man. My boss does all the supposin' - but I'll try one. Supposin' you talk us all out of this and, uh, the kid really did knife his father?
  19. "I want peace on earth and goodwill toward man." "Oh, this is ridiculous." "He's serious."
  20. We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. We are the music of your life.
After gathering these, they seemed a bit too morbid at times. I changed a couple of my first picks for quotes to lighten things up a bit, but I kept the same movies. Note that these movies aren't all favorites, but I remember at least liking all of them. And some of them are among my favorites.

I also tried mixing obscure and common movies, and obscure and more memorable quotes.

Feel free to comment with guesses here (or guesses on Facebook or MyFamily.com where I'm linking from), but don't cheat before making guesses.

21 comments:

Alden said...

WIthout resorting to Google tomfoolery, here are the ones I know:

2. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
5. Last Unicorn
8. Iron Giant
9. Mary Poppins
10. Scarlet Pimpernel
11. Princess Bride (of course)
13. Galaxy Quest
19. Sneakers (just watched this week -- love Whistler)

Guess:
6. Over The Hedge

Now to go google the rest and see if I need to feel bad for missing any others.

Alden said...

I should have gotten Nemo. And I have no idea why I didn't immediately get 3 -- it was in my mind, but I couldn't find the name of the movie there as well. Ah, well.

Most of the others I haven't seen, or it's been too long (16). Good list.

Alden said...

My list.

1. You're a gutless wonder!
2. I am fortune's fool!
3. He's half Arab.
4. Oh, George -- not the livestock!
5. "Desmondo, José Ruiz." Where're you at, Desmondo?
6. You didn't save my life! You ruined my death, that's what you did!
7. Then it'd be back to the range for me!
8. And sometimes there's a third, even deeper layer and that one's the same as the top surface layer...like pie.
9. Well, next time you talk to yourself, tell yourself you´re single and end the conversation.
10. Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?
11. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales.
12. Oh, nonsense! People do not die of little trifling colds.
13. Miss Riley, our job is to give these kids an education, not false hopes.
14. I am your density
15. Was blind, but now I see.
16. Nu-cle-ar wessels.
17. He knows the song too?
18. I saw something nasty in the woodshed.
19. Poems? She'll be barking.
20. Good morning, Princess. I wonder if we'll ever bump into each other standing up.

Tom said...

6. The Incredibles
16. The Search for Spock.

Tricky ones, or I'm just weak. 8, 11, and 13 look familiar, but I'm not sure.

Tom said...

Or is 16 The Voyage Home? I guess I forget the Star Trek movies.

Alden said...

I don't really even know -- It's the one where they go 20th century. I guess voyage home.

rayito2702 said...

2. San Dimas High School football rules!
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

6. You've got serious thrill issues, dude.
Finding Nemo. (Emily figured this one out. I knew it was a Disney cartoon but could think of the right one.)

11. Anybody want a peanut?
Princess Bride

17. To die is nothing. To jump the great boa is everything.
The End of the Spear

20. We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. We are the music of your life.
Mr. Holland's Opus

Tom said...

Well, looks like I've seen most of them including some that I liked a lot, but some on my "that seems familiar" list are ones I haven't seen. Even with Google, I couldn't identify 3 or 15. Well, I guess lots of movies could count for 15, but I'm not sure what you're looking for. I still don't remember the line for 19. I'd probably try to find the line about communism if I did that one.

Alden said...

15 is specifically Amazing Grace (the Wilberforce bio). HIGHLY recommended.

19 - Shadowlands

Alden said...

3 Chariots of Fire

Tom said...

I found 19 by searching. What I meant was I didn't recognize the line still. I can't seem to find the communist line anywhere though, and it's been too long for me to remember, but it's when the lady talks about how she figures everyone used to be communist at some point.

STef said...

Alden,

I really appreciate that there is someone else out there that has seen Cold Comfort Farm.

Alden said...

Sy -- It's a family favorite. :)

Tom:
http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/shadowlands-script-transcript-winger-hopkins.html

Joy: Why not?
Jack: What do you mean, "why not"?
Joy: Well, I mean, back in ' it seemed to me there was only two choices... either you were a fascist and you conquered the world... or you were a Communist and you saved it.
Jack: Is that so? I must have been otherwise engaged at the time.

Tom said...

Good find. That's the one I was looking for. And on the other subject, unlike y'all, I hadn't ever heard of Cold Comfort Farm, but I just now placed a hold at the library.

rayito2702 said...

I did a similar movie quiz to be found here:

http://rayito2702-tdrh.blogspot.com/2009/01/movie-quiz-la-toms-movie-quiz.html

rayito2702 said...

4. Oh, George -- not the livestock!
O, Brother, Where Art Thou. (One of my personal favorites.)

16. Nu-cle-ar wessels.
Star Trek movie with the whales.

I'm completely lost on all the others.

Ann-Marie said...

I know so few! From Tom's list
6. Finding Nemo
11. Princess Bride
Alden's
10. firefly/Serenity (WOOT!)
12. Pride and Prejudice?

That's the only ones I could get without google. Though I had to look up "He knows the song too?" (17) because it was driving me crazy. It's from Enchanted! I should have known that.

Ann-Marie said...

Here's my list!
1. "Did you just say Abe Lincoln?"
2. "Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three."
3. "Call the Locksmith!"
4. "Oh, oh no I'm not. I was just thinking" "Think-ing?"
5. "Hey look, I made a bridge. It only took me like, what? Ten seconds? Eleven, tops."
6. "Combination hookah and coffee maker, also makes Julienne fries. Will not break!"
7. "Let me get this straight. You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's okay with this?"
8. "They popped out of the snow...Like Daisies!"
9. "Hello, Admiral, you still there? I shot a guy with a flare gun."
10. "Also, I can kill you with my brain."
11. "We always knew you were a woopsie"
12. "It's not lupis"
13. "That only counts as one!"
14. "Oo, a peanut."
15. "Something you wouldn't recognize. It's called love."
16. "The insects have bewitched her. Hand it over, child."
17. "But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter."
18. "I'm glad you're here...being ill."
19. "Seriously?" "Seriously."
20. "look dear, a little frog"

Alden said...

2. "Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three."
Monty Python -- Holy Grail
5. "Hey look, I made a bridge. It only took me like, what? Ten seconds? Eleven, tops."
Atlantis
6. "Combination hookah and coffee maker, also makes Julienne fries. Will not break!"
Aladdin
7. "Let me get this straight. You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's okay with this?"
Lion King
10. "Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Firefly -- Ariel

OK. Off to Google.

Alden said...

1. I'm actually glad I don't remember this one very well. :)

3. Hm...

4. ??

8. Been too long since I've seen it..

9. "Hello, Admiral, you still there? I shot a guy with a flare gun."

Didn't see.

11. "We always knew you were a woopsie"

We just borrowed this one -- haven't watched yet.

12. "It's not lupis"

I've only watched two episodes of House.

13. "That only counts as one!"

This is the one I feel bad about. I knew I had seen it...

14. "Oo, a peanut."

Saw but don't remember

15. "Something you wouldn't recognize. It's called love."

Oh YEAH! OK, that's familiar.

16. "The insects have bewitched her. Hand it over, child."

Never even heard of this one. :)

17. "But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter."

Haven't seen yet. Depressing topic, though I hear they pulled it off.

18. "I'm glad you're here...being ill."
No idea. Scrubs?

19. "Seriously?" "Seriously."

Never saw this show.

20. "look dear, a little frog"

The final missing piece of the Red Curtain Trilogy (missing for me, anyway. I dislike Kidman.) I have the other two in my list. :)

Tom said...

2. Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail (though I wish I didn't get this one)
6. Disney's Aladdin
7. The Lion King
13. Seems like should know this one, but I can't bring it to mind.

I guess I'll have to look up the others. Probably seen more than I'm guessing, based on my experience with the other lists.