Sunday, April 13, 2008

Some Home Repair and Packing

Kristine's sister Karen and brother-in-law Curtis came over yesterday to help us work on the house and some packing. That was very kind of them. At church they asked for some volunteers to help us move this coming Saturday.

We've also started planning our trip to Oklahoma. We want to visit in Arizona and Texas. And Kristine has a cousin in El Paso whom we're planning to try to visit along the way. And we hope to see Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, and maybe Kartchner Caverns, but it looks like the caves don't let you take young kids into many of the interesting areas. Sad.

We also intend to find some big trees to visit before we leave California. Maybe a chance to go camping with Grandma and Grandpa Shaltes. They are also planning to visit us in Oklahoma in October. It worked along with some financial thing they can attend for continuing education requirements for their tax and accounting licenses.

On a different note, David is definitely riding our little bike with both training wheels off the ground these days. Pretty cool. He at least beat me for learning that. But he's not ready to try one of the bigger bikes yet (which are closer to his size). Maybe we'll get up some video sometime.

(Warning. Potential spoilers on some C. S. Lewis.) And finally, we finished reading all of the Chronicles of Narnia yesterday. The final chapter there reminded of the hymn "Oh What Songs of the Heart", but the kids (unsurprisingly) didn't recognize it when I sang through the first verse. Having also read The Screwtape Letters (while commuting with Kristine's dad a couple years ago), I found the ending of both books (or series in the case of Narnia, I guess) had something in common. I hadn't remembered that detail from my prior reading of Narnia when I was in elementary school.

1 comment:

STef said...

Big trees are pretty cool. There is a website, I don't know the url, where people have large old trees on a registry and you can go visit them and take pictures with them and sometimes, when they are on private land, the old timers will come out and tell you stories about their tree.

Sounds like an adventure either way. Oh, speaking of housing...I have my own apartment now. I'll be moving in sometime this week hopefully.