Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pinewood Derby

Jacob had his first pinewood derby this past week. He, Kristine, and I all worked on the car. I simplified the pattern a lot from his original designs. He chose the color scheme, too. I recommended he put "Anna" on the side at that point to make it for Anna. He thought that was a good idea. Though I actually put on the letters myself, he had done the rest of the painting.



He didn't win, but we also didn't get last every time. For the first run, it was extra slow. Not sure why, but we were in the ball park after that. Here's the fourth and last race for his car where we placed third:

4 comments:

rayito2702 said...

Did you get together some wood working tools to make the car? I wouldn't know how to make one.

Tom said...

Some of the cub scouts leaders invited people to go to their house at a particular time and day, but we didn't prepare.

So the week before they were due, I drew the pattern on the car from a simplified version of one of Jacob's plans which was already simplified from his earlier plans, after I told him he needed to do that. (Jacob could easily outdo the Homer.) Then Kristine went with Jacob to the her parents to use their scroll saw. We also used some fishing weights and hot glue.

That leaves out several details.

Supposedly this woodworking set is safe for kids themselves. Could be interesting. Not sure what ages, and it still should need supervision. Maybe worth looking into sometime though. Kristine just happened to hear about it a few weeks ago, and I remembered it when responding here.

rayito2702 said...

Wow, I've never heard of the Homer.

Did Jacob have fun?

Tom said...

Yep, and so did everyone else. Well, Zeke was oblivious.